Laser Service & Repair Technician
The Laser Service & Repair Technician is responsible for servicing laser systems for continued set-up and operations through a relationship-based service approach. Position is based in Itasca, IL and is full-time with competitive salary and benefits.
- Initial laser system installation, troubleshooting, and diagnostics.
- In-house technical laser system and application support.
- Support on-site, at customer locations, for all technical issues and welding advice.
- Establishes, develops, and maintains professional business relationships with current customers and prospective customers in the assigned territory to support continued business for the organization’s Laser Plastic Welding products/services.
- Continuous and prompt customer contact via telephone, in-person visits, email, and Teams communication with existing and prospective customers.
- Develops and refines service methods and strategies to contain costs.
- Prepares for and attends exhibits, conferences, meetings, and other local, regional, and national promotional opportunities.
- Fosters positive relations with vendors in the assigned territory (material suppliers, suppliers of ancillary equipment, automation houses, and machine builders).
- Actively participates in the attainment of company goals and objectives for the Leister Itasca office.
- Recommends new ideas, methods, and procedures to enhance operations while carrying out routine functions set forth by the Director of LPW.
- Collaborates with laser lab technician and service technician in the resolution of day-to-day customer and operational issues.
- Keeps abreast of new system and component releases, laser methods, and technical/control changes.
Technical Service/Sales Support:
- Participates in technology review with US & Swiss counterparts identifying industry trends and product requests, enhancements, technical issues, pricing, delivery, and lead times.
- Promotes positive relations with vendors and associations (material suppliers, suppliers of ancillary equipment, automation houses, machine builders, material associations, and market segment associations).
- Establishes and expands technical support network.
- Works closely with direct sales personnel regarding application/product use to better understand service requirements and successful system operation.
- Ensures customer satisfaction throughout territory.
Qualifications, Education and Experience Needed:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering (or associates degree with 5+ year technical field experience).
- Thorough understanding of electrical current, electronics, PC/PLC controls, computers, and general electro-mechanical functions.
- Knowledge of industrial service principles, methods, and techniques.
- Product and industry knowledge relating to automation/production machines.
- Related plastic assembly techniques or laser experience a plus.
- 3-5 years outside service experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both orally and in writing, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of coworkers in a diverse community, fostering a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to negotiate and manage customer related production up-time requirements.
Ability to develop, plan, and implement short and long-range goals
For over 60 years, Leister has been a world leader in plastics processing with hot-air, hot-wedge and extrusion welder technology. To assure customers can always rely on the renowned Leister quality, the company develops and produces all products and accessory parts in Switzerland in compliance with the strict ISO 9001 standard.
The classic product portfolio of the Leister Group is subject to continuous development and has been extended by high-tech machines and components involving laser and micro-technology. Leister Laser Plastic Welding produces powerful and cutting-edge laser welding systems for plastics. Axetris AG develops and produces laser gas detectors, micro-optics, mass flow rate sensors and infrared sources for industry.